Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Impressions of India: Day 1

The preparation for our trip to India entailed much more than I anticipated. The expense of visas, shots, and medications that cost more than several months worth of yoga classes each caused me to truly question my logic. The sheer anxiety that accompanied going to a country that was so unfamiliar to me also created health issues that put me in the doctor's office just hours before our departure.

I consider myself to be a traveler and an explorer who is always up for a new adventure; however, the preparation for India, like that of my first level assessment for Iyengar Yoga was daunting. It took so much out of me -but I suppose that's what these evolutionary journeys are supposed to do. You either breakdown or have a breakthrough.

It was midnight in Mumbai when we arrived --after three planes, seventeens hours in flight and six hours worth of layovers. When we walked outside the airport doors, the air changed as what felt like millions of people stood side-by-side expressing carbon dioxide into the 96ยบ heat and holding signs of welcome to friends, family or guests to their fair city.

The taxi picked us up and took us to our hotel gate where a policeman inspected under the hood for what I'm not sure. Our bags were also sent through another security check before we were allowed to enter. Once we got to our room sleep took us fast.

Morning in Mumbai was short, but I enjoyed a moment from my window with a sunrise, birds and pink flowers. Four hours of sleep and we were off again. Now boarding a plane for Goa. The taxi picked us up out of the crowd of cars, rickshaws, and motorbikes, and took us on an hour-long ride to the hotel. It was a trip that hinted at what a visceral experience India is going to be.

Traveling at high speed with horns ever-blaring as every turn became a near-death head-on collision with oncoming traffic of every kind.  Horned cows, feral dogs, motorbikes with women riding side saddle as traffic galloped at a dangerously fast pace through a typical day in this neck of the woods.

Interestingly, women stand out here against the harsh landscape with their bright and colorful peacock-plumed saris. Whether waiting at a bus stop, walking dirt roads carrying goods upon their head, or performing the death-defying act of being passenger on a motorbike, they present a sense of regal sweetness I admire.

Everyone seems fearless in what many would deem imminent danger: carrying a glass pane while riding on the back of a motorcycle or crossing a highway on foot with incredibly reckless driving coming from every direction. They are courageous people.

Poverty does not hide here.  It dances proudly side by side with its wealthier counterpart.  Anger, frustration, and anxiety, as well as ecstatic joy and excitement seem to be non-existent as well, or they have simply merged into an incredible sense of contentment. It is as if in its harsh display of the dualities of life, India makes them all disappear into something disarmingly beautiful.

Namaste.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this. I'd love to read what is to follow; and am looking forward with anticipation. Please let me know how I can follow you.

Anonymous said...

What an incredible experience!!! Be safe, cautious and at the same time open to what is and the happenings around you.

Howie