Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Columbus Day Yoga Retreat with Kquvien DeWeese

Columbus Day is a day I like to think of as celebrating the idea of exploration. Kquvien DeWeese, an Intermediate Junior Level III Certified Iyengar Instructor gave us an opportunity to do just that during her daylong retreat at Shambala Center. We explored various facets of yoga from asana (posture), pranyama (breath regulation), svadyaya (self study) and sutra study (through Pantanjali's compilation of 196 aphorisms on yoga). Dedicated practitioner, Sophia Terranova said, "Kquvien's yoga retreat was intensely "fun" for me.  It was the kind of fun I want more of in my life: meaningful, mindful, deliberate physical activity." 

The retreat began with an intense asana study into our upper back, middle back, and lower back. Intensity in yoga like in life seems to always invite some form of anxiety. Kquvien explained we can usually analyze that anxiety down to the encoded human experience of Abhinivesha, clinging to life or fear of death. When students begin to learn certain poses for example inversions like Adho Mukha Vrksasana (handstand), Pincha Mayurasana (forearm balance), Salamba Sirsasana (headstand) anxiety may ensue and many kleshas can come into play.

Kleshas are the afflictions that cause suffering. The kleshas have a hay day when we are under any kind of stress. They can keep us tied to an endless cycle of perpetual negative thinking and bad habits that funnel our thoughts and emotions into a chaotic state that can feel like a personal prison with a double-life sentence. 

Kquvien can spot our shift into these afflictions immediately. During the inversion portion of the retreat as we flung our legs this way and that or huffed and puffed losing our center, she knew one of the following kleshas had taken hold of us:

Avidya -ignorance- (eg. what the heck are we doing? I missed the demo. Is that lint on my leggings?)
Asmita -I-ness  (eg. I had a rough nite last night. I need more sleep, coffee, attention, etc.) 
Raga -attachment/desire (eg. I'm not ready to balance. I like the wall. If I had my green mat I could...) 
Dvesha -repulsion   (eg. I don't like how my toes look.  I hate this pose. I don't like my yoga shorts.) 
Abhinivesha -fear of death-will to live (eg. If I am up here one more second I will die I just know it.)

Kquvien pulls us back on course by jovially encouraging us to investigate the self-talk going on that is preventing us from moving forward. As she speaks, I immediately check in with my thoughts and lo and behold, there they are in all their glory as afflicted as they can be: "I'm tired. My shoulder hurts....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I adjust my focus, quiet the chatter, and immediately I find repose -- I balance.

In the quiet, I realized that my body knew exactly what to do to maintain its balance. If I'd just get out of its way. How often do you get in your own way on the mat or off?  Kquvien gave us the luxury to explore that during our retreat. In that time, we got to examine what kleshas are working on us. It gave me the opportunity to recognize how much Iyengar Yoga and the Sutras of Patanjali give us the tools and skills to help us silence the chaos these kleshas create.

The sutra study portion of the retreat began with a personal exploration of at least one sutra from our list of regularly practiced sutras to date. Sophia explained, "Kquvien encouraged us to pick one and read different interpretations from a large suitcase-full of sutra books she brought to the workshop. The group discussion was open and inclusive. It was very interesting to hear how other people, whom I practice with regularly, understand and personally "hear" each sutra." Sophia added, "As in our asana practice, Kquvien's own study and practice of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali help us recognize there are several levels of understanding and implementing the sutras within our own practice."

The day passed quickly and as Certified Iyengar Instructor, Chris O'brien shared, "Kquvien's retreat at Shambhala had the perfect blend of asana, pranayama, and meditative quiet. I hope she offers it again!" Dedicated practitioner, Henry Hibbert summed up the day with a delightful sentiment, "I'm rather without words on such a profoundly happy day." If you want to learn more about Kquvien DeWeese, her workshops, and classes go to http://kquvienyoga.com/about-kquvien/.

No comments: