Saturday, September 21, 2013

Dear Judy

        We met when our kids were in kindergarten.  Will had invited Cole over to play.  I came to pick him up, you invited me in, and that was it. Our boys became lifelong friends and we became sisters. We knew we had a bond that would never be broken. You had my back and I had yours.  It didn't matter if it was 3 AM, we knew we could count on each other.  We never let each other down.  I don't think we ever got into a fight.  Our sons friendship has been the same. What are the odds of that?
        We had very different lives but our love for each other never wavered.  Single mom's struggling to balance our lives, our friendship became a fortress to keep us safe from life's bows and arrows. No matter what came up we could talk about it and ease the fear, the anger, or the pain. We could celebrate each others successes and be so excited and supportive of one another. We could bounce ideology and parenting tips off each other and learn from our differences. We went to almost every school function together. We kept each other informed on school activities and important dates because our brains were over occupied trying to make a living. We served as babysitter, back up nurse and surrogate mom for each others son who we loved as much as our own. From Chucky Cheese birthday parties to Boy Scouts to beach trips to private Graduation dinners, you held an important place in my family history. We watched our boys grow into great men together.
        I struggle now as I adjust to your new form.  I know you've graduated and gotten your wings as they say: A reward for the incredible gift of friendship you gave to so many.  However, I will miss you so much.  I will miss our breakfast meetings and long lunches.  I will miss our cribbage games even though you always won. I will miss being able to talk about anything while never feeling judged.  I will miss your voice and your laugh.  I will miss how you strut and how you dance.  I know I will hear from you one way or another.  And you know I'll be listening.  Until then, happy flying.

           Love Always, Rhonda
       

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How heartbreaking yet uplifting to read this letter.